Is Dual Track Development , a Dual Track Agile(Scrum)?
Have you heard the term “dual-track development” before, if no, then this is the article for you to get some traction.
Dual track dev is or focuses on cross-functional product team which breaks its daily development work into two tracks
Here are some of the features of this kind of dev:
a) It does not require that the Discovery Team should define all product backlog items before the delivery team can begin its Dev work.
b) Dev work focuses on design ie dev and quality
c) Discovery work focuses on fast learning or validation
d) Discovery and Dev are assumed as two tracks since it’s two kinds of work,
e) This assumes that discovery is an essential part of Dev .
f) While a PO , dev designer, engineer may lead discovery, part , whole team could be involved in discovery tasks
g) Keep discovery work and progress visible to the whole team.
h) Measuring and learn even after shipping or after move to prod.
i) Can improve release velocity with high collaboration
j) Incorporates quality, scalability, performance, localisation etc quickly into the cycle
k) timebox discovery cycles
How it works (potentially)
Discovery Track :
1) Engage stakeholder ie get buy in
2) Develop personas or Epics or user stories
3) Conduct MR ie surveys, user interviews, analysis, etc
4) Prioritise, check feasibility
5) Move ‘items’ onto Delivery Team ‘backlog
6) Measure ‘“Discovery Velocity” ie for each cycle , idea converted into backlog
7) Create ‘Release Backlog’
1) Build wireframes, etc
2) Design, Dev use stories
3) Engage users for validation
4) Use feedback for product inputs
5) Measure Dev Velocity
6) Move to Prod or Create MVP
One can use Scrum or Kanban for panning such kind of dev work. Let’s check Kanban model in the next article.