Agile budgeting: How to do Continuous Planning, Delivery and Funding (Part 3)
So what is the next steps for this Cadence based work or EPIC based management and the budgeting of it. It could look something like this , ie step wise funding based on the LOB. The planned allocation is based on the LOBs . Note that the unallocated part is shared in next Quarter based on what the customer response is.
1) Essentially its a Quarterly based funding or the increment that we are creating during the Quarter but based on EPICs ( pink, green, very light blue etc)
2) Its rolling , ie it includes the funding for the next quarter ie may be next 2 quarters
3) Another characteristics is that this has some unallocated part (light blue) , what this means is that the unallocated part can be used for either KTLO or Customer Response
4) Use unallocated piece for KTLO if there is no other features that needs to be developed or
5) Use it to share in next Quarter based on the Customer Response ie Small Features enhancements, fixes, configs or UIs changes ie use the unallocated part to add more Customer Value
6) Note that this picture gives a long term funding visibility.
But all the above is not simple as it looks for the Development . There are investment buckets which are required for maximising the flow for the whole teams of teams.
For Agile Teams , the following table gives an idea of these investment buckets and how they can be managed by the teams. Note that these are general guidelines based on certain experiences but can be used as baseline to start.